Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Zoloft Discontinuation Symptoms
Douglas
Post Zoloft Discontinuation Symptoms
on: March 26, 2015, 03:06

So I've decided to take other measures to curb my anxiety, one of which is weaning off of Zoloft. I didn't like the way I felt and from what I understand now, something like Lexapro would be better suited. But before I decide whether or not I'm going to begin another drug, I've been wondering about some discontinuation symptoms that I've been experiencing as I'm lowering my dosage. Is it common to get headaches? Some of which are debilitating by the way. Feel dizzy? Disoriented? I've even had crying spells for no reason. I'm not depressed but I'd be able to sob uncontrollably over anything remotely sad. Also, how long can I expect it to last once I completely stop taking the Zoloft? I'm under 50 mg daily now and am dreading the days ahead when I have nothing in my system. And to be clear, I'm unnerved about the potential physical symptoms, not so much any anxiety that I might encounter. I feel pretty confident that I'll be much more comfortable with it than in the past.

Paul-
Dooley
Administrator
Post Re: Zoloft Discontinuation Symptoms
on: March 27, 2015, 02:28

Hey Douglas, this is actually a really good question. Withdrawal is an issue a lot of people deal with. I never took meds myself, so my experience is based more on what I've seen working with clients in a clinical setting. In terms of symptoms, I have definitely seen people experience crying, dizziness and so forth. How long it lasts I think depends mostly on the person. Maybe tapering at a slower rate could help.

Douglas
on: March 27, 2015, 03:26

Hi Paul,
Thanks for responding. I actually have just decided to slow the tapering a bit so I'm hoping that will help. I don't think I would've considered using meds had I known about potential side effects and discontinuation symptoms. I was pretty ignorant at the time, and when my doctor basically said "take these", I said "How much and when?".
The discovery of this site and things like CBT, acceptance, and meditation have been beneficial to me. I find them to be better alternatives at this point, partly because of reaction to zoloft. Honestly though, had Zoloft made me feel great and curb my worrying, I may not be saying this.

Sarah
Expert
on: March 27, 2015, 14:46

I was once like you, different drug.
I personally lived a terrible year afterwards. Not just withdrawl, but resurgence of anxiety x10 of the worst I'd experienced before.
I had to get back on the drug and I am on a higher dosage for it to work the same.
I'm fine now. CBT and meditation help and are great tools. But I personnally can't have a life without the help of the drug. I makes me sad a bit, but then again, I won't win a trophy for having a med-free life. Also, for me it wasn't even a life anymore, so I'm really glad things are back to ''normal''.
I don't want to scare you, but you should know sometimes, for some people, good nutrition, exercise and all that is not enough.
Be safe!

Douglas
on: March 28, 2015, 05:20

How long were you on the drug originally when you stopped taking it? I was only on Zoloft for roughly 6 months and got to only as high as 100mg for about 10 days. Most of my days on the drug was 50mg until I increased to 75 then 100. I had a constant feeling of nervousness and apprehension along with some physical symptoms. I thought it was my anxiety basically getting worse so we kept increasing the dosage. Low and behold, I think many of my issues were because of the increased dosage.

Sarah
Expert
on: April 2, 2015, 20:38

Yeah. Apparently not everyone responds the same way.
I've been on the drug a loooooooong time.
I guess this is just not the right one for you. Also maybe you don't need it. But Maybe you need another one.
I couldn't say for sure, of course.
There are a lot them. It sucks that you have to try and see. It's kind of like shampoo in a way.
😛
just don't feel guilty if you do end up needing some sort of medical help. It's not for lack of trying.

Pages: [1]
Mingle Forum by cartpauj
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.04 seconds.